I have been looking for the Kerala peas curry recipe. Tried a few but was not convinced. Yes I am talking of the curry that we get in the restaurants in Kerala. I chanced on this recipe and glad my hunt ended. God, how I love this.
I have used frozen peas here. But if you have the dried peas then more better. Soak them overnight and pressure cook with enough water till done.
You need –
- Frozen peas – 1 cup, defrosted
- Onion – 1 large, thinly sliced
- Tomato – 1 medium, chopped
- Ginger – minced, 2 teaspoons
- Garlic – minced, 2 teaspoons
- Green chilies – 2, slit length wise
- Coriander powder – 2 ½ teaspoons
- Turmeric powder – ¼ teaspoon
- Fennel powder – 1/2 teaspoon
- Coconut milk – ¾ cup
- Curry leaves -1 twig
- oil – 1 tablespoon ( I used coconut oil)
- Salt to taste
How to –
Heat oil in pan, add the onion and cook till soft. Add the ginger garlic and green chilies Cook till the raw smell is gone.
Make a paste of all the powders with enough water. Add this to the onion mixture and cook for 2-3 minutes. Turn off the heat and allow to cool. Into a blender and make a fine paste with just enough water.
Heat the same pan, and add the onion-masala paste. Add the tomato, 1 tablespoon water and cook till soft. Tip in the peas, curry leaves, ½ cup water, ¼ cup coconut milk. Cover and cook till the peas is done.
Uncover, add the remaining coconut milk and bring to a gentle simmer.
Turn of the heat and serve hot with rice. Flat bread or appam.