- Crab – 600 grams
- Onion – 2 large; thinly sliced
- Garlic – 6-7 cloves
- Ginger – 1’inch piece
- Whole black pepper – 2 tablespoons
- Fennel seeds – 1 tablespoon
- Tomato – 1 medium, finally chopped
- Mustard Seeds – 1 teaspoon
- Dried chili – 2-3
- Chili powder – 2 teaspoons
- Coriander powder – 3 teaspoons
- Turmeric powder – ½ teaspoon
- Garam Masala – 1 teaspoon
- Curry leaves – 2 twigs
- Coconut oil – 2 tablespoons
- Salt to taste
How to –
Clean and wash the crab well. In a blender or Mortar and pestle crush the Garlic, ginger, pepper, fennel seeds.
Heat a heavy bottom pan and add 2 tablespoons of oil. Once the oil is heated through, add the mustard seeds and allow to crackle; add the dried chili and curry leaves. Add the crushed pepper mixture and saute over medium heat till the raw smell of the ginger and garlic goes off.
Add the onions and saute till translucent, Add the spice powders, tomato, salt to taste and saute till the tomato is mushy and oil starts to separate.
Add the crab and stir well to combine. Add about 1/3-1/2 cup water or as required to cook the crab. Cover and cook till the crab is done.
When done, turn the heat to high, add the remaining 1 tablespoon of oil and roast for another couple of minutes till the mixtures is dry; stirring continuously. Turn the heat off, garnish with fresh curry leaves and a drizzle of coconut oil. Serve hot with rice.
- Please adjust the spices to suit your taste.
- This is a dry preparation, so make sure you add just enough water to cook.