I came across this recipe on a TV show but was unsure if this would be good with just mint and coriander. Glad that I gave it a try. I haven’t had any rice dish that would leave you refreshed after you have eaten it.
You need –
- Basmati rice – 1 cup
- fresh coriander leaves – finely chopped 2 tablespoons
- Fresh mint leaves – finely chopped 1 1/2 tablespoons
- A good pinch of saffron strands soaked in 1 tablespoon warm milk
- Olive oil– 1 tablespoon (you can use clarified butter/ghee instead)
- Cumin seeds – 1/2 teaspoon
- Cinnamon – 1-inch piece
- cardamom pods – 2
- Star anise – 1
- Bay leaf – 1
- salt to taste
- 2 cups of hot water
|Fresh mint from my little garden 🙂|
How to –
Wash and clean the basmati rice. Soak for 30 minutes, drain well and set aside.
Heat the oil in or pressure cooker pan. Add the whole spices and cook till fragrant. Add the rice, mix well and fry for 1-2 minute(s). Add the water, salt and bring to boil. Add the Saffron along with milk, coriander and mint leaves. Give a good stir; cover and cook till done.
Turn off the heat and leave to stand for 5 minutes before you uncover the rice.Remove the lid, fluff the rice with a fork. Transfer to a serving dish.
Serve hot with curry or just raita.