You need –
- Fish – 500 grams (I used king fish/Naimeen)
- Onion – 1 medium (thinly sliced)
- Grated coconut – 1/2 cup
- Coconut milk – 1/2 cup
- Fish masala powder – 3 teaspoons
- Fenugreek seeds – 1/4 teaspoon
- Green chillies – 2-3 nos (slit)
- kudampuli/ Gambooge – 3 nos (Soaked in 1/4 cup warm water for 15 mins)
- Ginger – thinly sliced, 1 tablespoon
- curry leaves – 2 twigs
- Shallots – thinly sliced 1/4 cup
- mustard seeds – 1/4 teaspoon
- coconut oil – 1 tablespoon + 2 teaspoons for tampering
How to –
In a pan, dry roast the coconut till they turn brown. Into a blender and blend to a fine paste with just enough water. Set aside.
Heat 1 tablespoon of oil in a pan, Add the fenugreek seeds and allow to crackle. Add the onions, ginger, green chili, 1 twig curry leaves and cook till the onions turn translucent.
Add the fish masala powder, salt and cook till the oil starts to separate. Add the coconut paste and still well. cook for a few seconds.
Add the soaked kudampuli/ Gambooge along with the water plus add 1 cup water. Mix well and cook for 10 mins Now add the fish pieces and cook till the gravy has reduced and thick.
Add the coconut milk, swirl the pan gently and bring to a gentle simmer. Turn off the heat.
Heat a pan, add 2 teaspoon oil. add the mustard seeds and allow to crackle. Add the shallots and curry leaves and stir till the shallots turn light brown. Turn of the heat and add this to the curry and mix well.
Serve with rice.