You need –
- Chickpeas – 1/2 cup. soaked in water over night
- Spinach – 1 bunch, roughly chopped
- Onion – 1 large, finely chopped
- Tomatoes – 2 medium, chopped
- ginger & garlic paste – 2 teaspoons
- green chili – 1 or to taste, thinly sliced
- cumin seeds – 1/2 teaspoon
- Chili powder – 1 teaspoon
- garam masala – 1/2 teaspoon
- Turmeric powder – 1/4 teaspoon
- Chole masala – 1 teaspoon
- Asafetida – 1 pinch
- hot water – 1/2 cup
- Oil – 1 tablespoon
- salt to taste
How to –
Wash the chickpeas in running water and pressure cook the soaked chickpeas with enough water till done. Drain and Set aside.
Heat oil in a pan and add the cumin seeds. Allow to crackle, once done add the chopped onions and sauté till translucent. Add the ginger-garlic paste , chilies and cook till the raw smell is gone.
Stir in all the powders and cook till the oil starts to separate. Now add the chopped tomatoes and cook till mushy. Stir in the cook chickpeas, salt and 1/2 hot water and cook till the water has reduced and gravy is thick.
Now tip the spinach, cook till it wilts and done. Mix well, check and adjust the seasoning and turn off the heat.
Serve hot with rice, roti or even use it as a filling for Tacos as I did.