A North Indian specialty where cottage cheese is delicately spiced and simmered in a Creamy Sauce.
Recipe source – Vahrehvah
You need –
- For the Kofta
- Paneer /cottage cheese – 1/2 cup, grated
- Potato –2 large, boiled and mashed
- Green chili –1, minced
- Coriander leaves – finely chopped, 2 tablespoons
- Garam masala – 1/4 teaspoon
- Salt to taste
- Oil for deep frying
- Corn flour – for coating the koftas
- For the gravy
- Onion –1 medium, finely chopped
- Ginger-garlic paste -1 teaspoon
- Tomato – 2 medium sized tomatoes, Chopped
- Turmeric powder -1/4 teaspoon
- Coriander powder – 3 teaspoon
- Red chili powder – 1.5 teaspoons or to taste
- Cumin seeds – 1/4 teaspoon
- Garam masala powder – 1/2 teaspoon
- Dried fenugreek leaves – 1 teaspoon
- Fresh Cream -1/4 cup
- Cashew nut – 30 grams, soaked in water
- Salt to taste
- Oil as required
How to –
In bowl, put all the ingredients under “For Kofta” and make a lump free and soft dough (Do not add any water). Make equal sized ball and roll them on the corn flour to coat.
Heat oil in deep frying pan and fry them till golden brown/light brown. Remove and drain on kitchen paper. Set aside.
Heat oil in a pan. Add the onions and cook till soft. Tip the ginger-garlic paste and sauté till the raw smell is gone. Add coriander powder, turmeric powder, chili powder and cook till the oil start to separate.
Now add the tomatoes and cook till it mushy. Turn off the heat and once the onion-tomato mixture is cool, blend into a smooth paste.
Heat the sauce pan, add 2 teaspoons of oil. Add the cumin seeds and allow to crackle. Add the onion-tomato paste, fenugreek leaves. 1/2 cup and salt to taste and cook for 3-4 minutes.
Add the cashew paste, cream and water if needed to adjust the consistency and bring to a gentle simmer. Add the Koftas and turn off the heat. Sprinkle the chopped coriander leaves and garam masala. Cover and allow to sit for a few minutes before serving.
Serve with Flavored rice or Indian flat bread.
Please note – The original recipe uses shahi jeera instead of cumin seeds. Since I didn’t have them I used cumin seeds.