The curry is spicy and has a thick gravy that makes it perfect with rice or roti. I have used Kashmiri chili powder to give the curry a nice color. If don’t have Kashmiri chili powder then you could use paprika instead.
You need –
- Prawns – 500 grams, cleaned
- Onion – 1 large, finely chopped
- Ginger-garlic paste – 2 teaspoons
- Tomato – 1 small, finely chopped
- Bell pepper – 1 small, cut into small cubes
- Green chilies – 1 or to taste
- Greek yogurt – 200 grams
- Coriander powder – 1 teaspoon
- Chili powder – 1 teaspoon
- Turmeric powder – ½ teaspoon
- Garam masala – ½ teaspoon
- Cumin powder – ½ teaspoon
- Salt to taste
- Cooking oil – 1-2 tablespoons
Clean and wash the prawns. Drain the water out completely. Marinate the prawns with ¼ teaspoon of turmeric powder for about 15 minutes.
Heat oil in a heavy bottom pan and add the chopped onions and cook till soft. Add the ginger-garlic paste, chopped green chilies and continue to cook till the raw smell is gone. Add the tomato and cook till mushy.
Add the coriander powder, cumin powder, ¼ teaspoon turmeric powder, chili powder, garam masala and cook till the oil starts to separate. Turn the heat off and allow to cool a bit. Once cooled, in blender, blend into a smooth paste by add just enough water.
Re-heat the pan and pour the spice paste. Reduce the heat to medium-low and add the yogurt. Stir well and bring to a gentle simmer. Add the prawns and bell pepper and mix well. Add about 1/3 – ½ cup water and cook till the prawns are done and the gravy is thick.
Turn the heat off and garnish with fresh coriander leaves. Serve hot with rice or roti.