This Onam, I made the Parippu Payasam. Adding small pieces of thinly sliced fried coconut is indeed a delight biting into, but unfortunately I couldn’t source that. Freshly squeezed coconut milk would be best but canned coconut milk is still close. This serves 4 and Cooking up this delicious dessert is not hard at all.
You will need –
- Yellow moong dal/Cherupayar Parippu – 1/4 cup
- Jaggery/ whole cane sugar -1/2 cup
- Thick coconut milk – 1 cups
- Thin coconut milk – 4 cups
- Ghee – 2 tablespoon
- Cashews and Raisins- 10 each
How to –
- Fry the Dal without oil for few minutes until they turn light brown.
- Wash and pressure cook adding enough water.
- Melt the jaggery by adding little water. Once melted jaggery, add it to the cooked dal and stir well.
- Now add the thin coconut milk and cook.
- When the milk evaporates and becomes half add the thick coconut milk. Stir well for couple of minutes and turn off the heat. Do not boil after adding thick coconut milk.
- Heat a pan and add the ghee..Fry and add the cashews and raisins to the payasam. Fry the coconut pieces also if you are using it and add.
Serve this hot and can stay in the fridge for 2 days.