You need –
- Chicken – 500 grams, cut into bite size pieces
- Tomatoes – 2 large
- Onions – 3, thinly sliced
- Garlic paste – 2 teaspoons
- Ginger (finely chopped) – 1 tablespoon
- Kashmiri red chilli powder – 1 1/2 teaspoon.
- Yogurt – 2 tablespoon
- Tomato paste – 1 teaspoon
- Capsicum (I used red and green)- Diced, 1/2 cup each
- Kasthuri methi/dry fenugreek leaves – 1 tablespoon
- Coriander leaves – to garnish
- Garam masala – 1/2 teaspoon
- Ground peper – 1/4 teaspoon
- Oil – 1 tablespoon or as required
- salt to taste
How to –
Marinate chicken with yogurt, garlic paste and chili powder. Refrigerate for an hour. Blend to fine powder all the ingredients under “spice mix” . Blanch the tomatoes in boiling water for a couple of minutes. Once cooled, peel the skin and puree.
Heat the oil in a kadai/skillet, add the dry spice powder and saute till fragrant. Add the onions and cook till translucent. Add ginger, tomato puree, paste and salt. cook for 3-4 minutes or till the oil start to separate. Saute till the tomato releases oil.
Tip in the marinated chicken, kasoori methi. Turn the heat to high and mix well for about 3-4 minutes. Add about 1/3 – 1/2 cup of hot water. reduce the heat to medium-low and cook covered, till the chicken is done. Stir in frequently.
Uncover, continue to cook till the gravy thickens. Add capsicum, coriander leaves, sprinkle garam masala and freshly ground pepper. Mix well to combine. Cook briefly.
Turn off the heat and serve hot with any roti, bread, rice