You need –
- Mung dal/split pigeon peas – 1/2 cup
- Red chili powder – 1/2 teaspoon
- Turmeric powder – 1/4 teaspoon
- Water – 1 – 1.5 cups or as required
- Spinach – 1 bunch, chopped
- Black mustard seeds – 1/2 teaspoon
- Onion – 1 medium, finely chopped
- Garlic – 2-3 cloves, minces
- Ginger – Minced, 2 teaspoons
- Tomatoes – 1 small, finely chopped
- Garam masala – 1/2 teaspoon
- Oil – 1 tablespoon
- Salt to taste
In a pressure cooker, add the lentils, chili powder, turmeric powder, water and cook till done. set aside.
Heat oil in a pan, add the mustard seeds and once they start to sizzle, add the onion, ginger and garlic. Stirring continuously till the onions turn translucent. Now tip the garam masala and cook till fragrant. Add the tomatoes and stir from a few seconds.
Add the cooked dal, salt to taste and water too adjust the constancy as required. Stir in the spinach, cover and cook till the spinach is cooked through about 2-3 minutes.
Serve hot with rice or roti.