Onam is here again! and I have planned to post onam sadya recipes this week. Unsure if I will be able to do all of it by 16th; yet promise to fit in as much as possible. I already have a few that you might want to check out
You need –
- Chana dal – 250 grams, cleaned & washed
- Palm sugar/ Jaggery – 400 grams, grated
- Coconut milk
- Think Coconut milk – 3/4 cup
- Medium thick coconut milk – 1.5 cups
- Thin coconut milk – 3 cups
- Ghee – 2 tablespoon + 1 tablespoon of frying cashewnuts
- Cardamom powder – 1/4 teaspoon
- Cashewnut and coconut pieces – 40 grams each
How to –
In pressure cooker, cook the dal with enough water (around 3 cups). Once done mash roughly and set aside.
In pan melt the palm sugar/jaggery with 1/4 tablespoon water and aside. Now heat a heavy bottom pan and add 2 tablespoons of ghee. Add the cooked dal and melted jaggery and mix well. Be careful as the ghee will start to splatter so take care.
Stir till everything is well combined. Now add the thin coconut milk and bring to a rolling boil. Add the medium thick coconut milk and cook till the payasam thickens and reduces to half. Stir frequently. Add the Thick coconut milk and bring to a gently simmer.
Turn off the heat add the cardamom powder and mix well.
In a small frying pan, heat 1 tablespoon of ghee and fry the cashew and coconut pieces (if using) till golden brown. Add this to the payasam and mix well. Serve hot.