Recipe source – Sanjeev Kapoor
You need –
- Bengal gram/Channa dal – 3/4 cup
- Turmeric powder- 1/4 teaspoon
- Chili powder – 1/2 teaspoon
- Garam masala powder – 1/4 teaspoon
- Amchur/dried mango powder – 1/2 teaspoon
- Cumin seeds –1/2 teaspoon
- Asafetida – A good pinch
- Green chili – 2. slit length-wise
- Curry leaves – 1 sprig
- Onion – 1 small thinly sliced
- Salt to taste
- Oil as required
- Fresh coriander leaves to garnish
How to –
Wash and clean the dal in several changes of water. Pressure cook the channa with turmeric and salt with 1.5 cups of water till done.
In sauce pan add the cooked dal, chili powder, amchur powder. Add water if the dal is dry. Stir and cook over low heat.
For tempering, heat oil in a small pan, tip the cumin seeds. once they start to splatter add the green chilies, curry leaves, asafetida, garam masala powder. Stir briefly and add this to the dal . Mix well and turn off the heat.
Garnish with chopped onions and coriander leaves and serve hot with Rice or roti.