I love ice cream, mango is one of my favorite fruits, coconut/coconut milk is an integral part of the food culture I grew up on, and I am a huge fan of Thai cuisine. Not often you get a chance to do something which is a lovely blend of all the aforesaid! Presenting the Thai mango coconut milk ice cream – the name says it all; the subtle sweetness of mango, the prominent yet soothing flavor of coconut milk, and a bit of saffron which I added for that Indian twist, all fused into that one scoop… Just perfect!!!
You need –
- Ripe mangoes – peeled & cubed, 3 cups (I used 2 mangoes)
- Coconut milk – 3 cups
- Sugar – 1/3 – ½ cup or as per taste
- Saffron threads – a good pinch
How to –
Place the mangoes, coconut milk, saffron, sugar in a blender and blend till smooth. Pour the mixture into an airtight freezer safe container and freeze for about 1 hour or till just set.
Remove and beat with an electric beater for a couple minutes and return to the freezer. Repeat this process 3-4 times for 2 to 3 hours. This is to ensure that no crystals are formed and the ice cream is creamy. Into the freezer for a final freeze to set for 6-8 hours or over night undisturbed.
Remove the ice cream from the freezer 5 minutes before you serve so its easy to scoop it out.
- Please adjust the sugar depending on the sweetness of the mangoes.
- Use only whole fat coconut milk
- You can use an ice cream maker. Follow the manufactures instructions.