You need –
- Onions – 2 large, finely sliced
- Ginger – Minced, 1 teaspoon
- Green chili – 1 chopped
- Turmeric powder – ½ teaspoon
- Asafoetida – a good pinch
- Curry leaves – 1 sprig, chopped
- Coriander leaves – chopped, 1 tablespoon
- Gram flour – ½ cup
- A pinch of baking soda
- Salt to taste
- Vegetable oil for deep frying
How to –
In a large mixing bowl, put the sliced onions, curry leaves, coriander leaves and mix gently with your hands. Now add all the other ingredients and mix well. Add water very little at a time and mix till everything comes together and well coated. Set aside for 10 minutes.
Heat oil in deep frying pan over medium heat. Once heated though, take about a tablespoon of the onion mixture and carefully drop it into the hot oil. Fry till golden brown. Remove and drain on a paper/kitchen towel.
Serve hot with your favorite chutney.
- Add little water at time while you mix the batter. Too much water will make pakodas soggy and not crisp.
- Make sure the oil is heated to about 180 C before you start frying.
- Do not overcrowd the pan while you fry. Fry about 4-5 in each batch.