The distinct flavor of coconut oil is so well-associated with Malayalee cooking. Tossed in those beautiful brown button mushrooms to coconut oil loaded with curry leaves – just the way we malayalees love! It just works as magic with so few ingredients; you may alter the addition of pepper to suit your taste.
You need –
- Button Mushrooms -400 grams ( i have used brown)
- Onion -2 medium sized
- Garlic pods – 4 nos
- Grated ginger – 1 tablespoon
- Tomato- 1 medium, finely chopped
- Fennel seeds – 1/2 teaspoon
- Coriander powder- 2 teaspoons
- Chili powder – 1 teaspoon
- Turmeric powder- 1/2 teaspoon
- Meat masala – 1 teaspoon (I have used eastern meat masala powder)
- Freshly ground black pepper- 2 teaspoon
- Garam masala powder – 1/2 teaspoon
- Curry leaves- 2 twigs
- Coconut oil- 2 tablespoons
- Salt to taste
How to –
Heat about 1 tablespoon of oil in a heavy bottom pan and add fennel seeds and allow to crackle. Now tip 1 twig of curry leaves and sauté briefly. Add the chopped onions and cook till translucent. Add ginger & garlic, cook till the raw smell is gone.
Add coriander powder, Chili powder, Meat Masala, Turmeric powder and 1½ teaspoon pepper powder. Sauté till the oil starts to separate.
Add the tomato and cook till mushy. Add the mushrooms, salt to taste and mix well. Cover and cook till almost done.
Uncover, add the remaining pepper powder, garam masala, remaining curry leaves and little oil (about a 1-2 teaspoon) and continue to cook over medium-low heat until the mixture is dry; stirring continuously.
Turn the heat off. Serve hot with Rice and curry.
One thought on “Mushroom Pepper Fry – Kerala style”
I make this Mushroom pepper fry with a slight variation. This looks delicious too. I love spicy mushroom curries and fries.