I had this recipe saved from a magazine, and the other day the sight of beautiful plums in the supermarket reminded me of cake.
- All purpose flour – 3 cups
- Unsalted butter – 226 grams
- Caster sugar – 2 cups
- Low fat milk – 1 cup
- Eggs – 4
- Lemon essence – 1.5 teaspoons
- Vanilla essence – 1.5 teaspoons
- Baking powder – 2 teaspoons
- Salt – 1/2 teaspoon
- Zest of 2 lemons or 1 tablespoon
For the lemon glaze
- Lemon Juice – 2 tablespoons
- Icing sugar – 1.5 cups
How to –
You need –
- Self-raising flour – 175 grams
- Sunflower oil – 150 mls
- Coco powder – 25 grams
- Baking powder – 1 teaspoon
- Soft light brown sugar – 150 grams
- Golden syrup – 3 tablespoons
- Eggs – 2
- Milk – 150 mls
- Cake pans – 2 (I used a 8 inch but if you need a tall cake then use a 6 inch)
Pre-heat the oven to 180 C. Grease the cake tins and line the base with parchment paper.
In a small pan, heat the golden syrup until its runny. Turn off the heat and allow to cool.
In a large mixing bowl, sift together flour, coco powder, and baking powder and mix in the sugar. Set aside. In a separate bowl whisk the egg, oil and milk using an electric whisk.
Now whisk the egg mixture into the flour mixture until well combined. Gently fold the golden syrup into the batter. Divide the batter equally between to tins and bake the cake for 30-35 mins or title the skewer comes out clean when inserted in the middle.
Remove the cake from the oven and allow to cool slightly and then onto to wire rack to cool completely.
You use chocolate icing or icing of your choice to decorate the cake.