I don’t make puris often but when I did the other day, I could think of nothing but this curry to go with it.
|Chana masala/Chickpeas curry|
You will need –
- White chickpeas – 400 grams
- Cardamom – 3
- Coriander seeds – 1 teaspoon
- Cinnamon – I median stick
- Onion – 1 medium finally chopped
- Ginger paste – 1 teaspoon
- Garlic paste– 1 teaspoon
- Tinned tomatoes – 3/4 cup
- Chili powder – 1 teaspoon
- Chana masala – 1 teaspoon
- Lemon juice – 1 tablespoon
- Garam masala – 1 teaspoon
- Salt to taste
- Ghee/oil – 2 tablespoon
- Water – 1 cup or as required
How to –
- Wash n soak the chickpeas with enough water overnight.
- Drain the chickpeas and cook with water and salt in a saucepan until the chickpeas are soft.
- Grind the cardamom, coriander seeds and cinnamon stick in a pestle and mortar to fine powder.
- Heat oil in the saucepan and stir-fry the spice powder for about 10-15 seconds
- Add the chopped onion and sauté until golden brown.
- Add the garlic and ginger paste and cook till the raw smell is gone
- Add the tomatoes, chili powder and salt and cook for about 5 minutes.
- Add the chickpeas, water and the chana masala. Stir and cook for 20-30 minutes
- Drizzle the lemon juice and add the garam masala and turn off the heat.
- Garnish with Coriander leaves.
Serve hot with Puri, rice or roti