You need –
- Pumpkin – ½ kilo cut into cubes.
- Onion – 1 small, sliced
- Butter – 2 tablespoon
- Garlic clove – 1
- Chicken stock – 2 cups (Use vegetable stock for vegetarians)
- Water – 1½ cups
- Thick cream – 2 tablespoon
- Salt and paper to taste
For the croutons-
- Pinch of cinnamon
- Caster sugar – 1 teaspoon
- Olive oil – 2 teaspoon
- Slice of bread – 2, cut into small cubes
How to –
- In a sauce pan, melt the butter. Once the butter starts to brown a bit add the sliced onion. Stir till the onion is soft and translucent.
- Add the garlic and continue to cook for about 3-4 minutes or til the onions start to turn brown.
- Add the pumpkins, stock and the water. Bring it to a boil and simmer for 30 minutes.
- Season with salt and pepper. Stir and turn off the heat.
- Put the cooked mixture in a blender draining of the liquid. Set the liquid aside and use it if you want dilute the soup a bit as per your preference.
- Wait a minute or until the steam is released from the blender. Now carefully blend the hot pumpkin mixture. Add the cream and continue to blend till smooth.
To prepare the croutons –
- Pre-heat the over to 180 C
- In baking tray mix the bread cubes with cinnamon, sugar and oil.
- Bake the croutons for 6-7 minutes or till brown and crispy.
- Pour the soup into serving bowl, sprinkle with the croutons and serve hot.