Something which offers zing and versatility, this plum chutney is just that! Have it on your toast or sandwich, just use it as a dip – it works so well. Pack it in small jars and its an ideal food gift for the season.
You need –
- Red juicy plums – 500 grams, halved and stoned
- Onion – 1 medium sized, minced
- Garlic – 3 large pods, minced
- Grated ginger – 1 tablespoon
- Mustard seeds – 1 teaspoon
- Curry leaves – 1 twig
- Kashmiri chili powder – 2 teaspoons (or adjust to your taste)
- Turmeric powder -1/2 teaspoon
- Vinegar – 1 tablespoon
- Brown sugar – 1 teaspoon
- Vegetable oil – 2 tablespoons
- Salt to taste
How to –
slice the plums in small and set aide.
Heat the oil in a heavy bottom pan. Add the mustard seeds allow to splatter. Tip the curry leaves in. Add ginger, garlic and sauté briefly ensuring not to burn. Add the onions and cook till onions turn translucent.
Over medium- low heat, add the chili powder, turmeric powder and sauté till the oil starts to separate. Add the vinegar and mix well. Add the plums, sugar and salt to taste. Cook over medium heat for about 35-40 minutes or till the plums are soft and the chutney is of thick consistency.
Turn the heat off and allow to cool. Once cooled you can store the chutney in sterilized jars and refrigerate. They will stay up to 2 weeks.