You need –
- To make the chicken Masala
- Chicken – 500 grams
- Onion- 2, finely chopped
- Ginger- 1 inch piece
- Garlic- 3 cloves
- Green chilly- 3-4 or as per your taste
- Lemon juice- 1 tbsp
- Coriander leaves chopped- 1/2 cup
- Mint leaves- 1/2 cup
- Tomato – 2 medium finely chopped
- Pepper powder – 1 teaspoon
- Garam masala – ¼ teaspoon
- Oil – 2 tablespoon
- Salt to taste
- For the ghee rice:
- Basmati Rice- 1.5 cups
- Cinnamon – 1 small stick
- Cloves- 2
- Fennel seeds – 1/4 teaspoon
- Ghee/clarified butter – 3 tablespoon
- Hot water – 2.5 cups
- Salt to taste
- For garnishing:
- Fried Cashew nuts- 3 tablespoon
- Fried Raisins- 3 tablespoon
- Fried Onions – 1/2 cup
- Rose water – 1-2 teaspoon
- Gram Masala – 1 teaspoon
How to –
- Wash the rice and soak for 20 mins. Strain and set aside.
- Clean and wash the chicken. Drain the water out completely.
- Crush the ginger, garlic and chillies.
- Heat oil in pan, add the onion, crushed ginger, garlic, chillies and salt. Fry until the onion are soft.
- Add the tomatoes and cook till mushy. Add the chicken, mix well. Cover and cook till almost done.
- Uncover, add the pepper powder, garam masala continue to cook for a minute or so. add the lime juice, coriander and mint leaves and cook till done. If the gravy is watery then continue to cook till thick.
Ghee rice –
- Heat ghee in a pan, add the whole spices and cook till fragrant.
- Add hot water, salt and rice. Mix well, uncover and cook till the rice comes on top. Now cover and cook for 3-4 mins on low heat.
Layering the rice-
- In a heavy bottom pan, spread some ghee, Layer a thin layer of rice and then the chicken with gravy. Sprinkle some gram masala, few drops of rose water, fried nuts, raisins and onions.
- Repeat the layering and finishing of the rice as the final layer.
- Seal the pan with a aluminium foil and cover with heavy lid so that the steam does not escape. You could place a heavy pan with water or use the pestle on top on the lid.
- Cook on a very low heat for 45 – 50 minutes.