You need –
- Chicken – 750 grams , cleaned and cut into bite size pieces
- Shallots – finely chopped, 1 cup
- Green chili – 1, slit length-wise
- Ginger and garlic paste – 1 tablespoon each
- Tomato paste – 2.5 teaspoon
- Freshly ground pepper (coarsely) – 3 teaspoons
- Coriander powder – 1 tablespoon
- Turmeric powder – 1/4 teaspoon
- Fennel powder – 1/4 teaspoon
- Garam masala – 1/2 teaspoon
- Curry leaves – 2 twigs
- Oil – 1 tablespoon or as required
- Salt to taste
How to –
Heat oil in a pan and add the finely chopped shallots. Cook till translucent. Add in the ginger-garlic paste, green chili and continue to cook till the raw smell of ginger-garlic is gone and the onions turn golden brown.
Add 2.5 teaspoons of ground pepper (reserve 1/2 teaspoon for the last) , coriander powder, turmeric powder, fennel powder and cook till the oil start to separate. Add the tomato paste (add a tablespoon of water if the mixture too dry), salt to taste and cook briefly for a few seconds. Add the chicken pieces and mix well to coat. Add about 1/4 cup water and curry leaves; cover and cook till done.
Uncover, continue to cook till the gravy is almost dry and stirring continuously . Now sprinkle the remaining 1/2 teaspoon ground pepper and garam masala and mix well.
Turn off the heat and serve hot with rice and curry.