You need –
- Toor daal – 1/2 cups
- Shallots- 10-12 nos
- Tomatoes- 1
- Tamarind – A small lemon sized ball
- water- 1/3 cup
- Turmeric Powder -1/4 teaspoon
- Coriander seeds-2 tablespoons
- Red chilies-5-6
- Grated Coconut-1/3 cup
- Asafoetida -a good pinch
- Curry leaves-1 string
- Fenugreek seeds- 1 teaspoon
- Mustard – 1 teaspoon
- Red chillies – 1-2 nos
- Curry leaves – 1 twig
- Cumin seeds – 1/2 teaspoon
How to –
- Pressure cook Toor daal and shallots until done.
- Soak the tamarind in water for 10 to 15 mins.
- Add the tomatoes and tamarind juice.
- Dry roast all the ingredients for grinding till fragrant and grind them into a fine paste
- Add the ground paste to the cooked daal and simmer for a couple of minutes.
- In pan, heat oil and add the mustard seeds and cumin seeds. When they start crackle, add curry leaves and the halved red chili. Saute for 2 – 3 minutes and pour this seasoning over the sambar.
- Serve hot with rice or idlis.