Moving along with the Christmas theme, I got something which can even be one of the central dishes of the festive dinner. The meat and rice are cooked separately, then layered and steamed gently, so the flavors blend well (this process is called Dum).
The recipe indeed is the same as my Mutton Biriyani but just a bit of adjustments with the spices. Serve the biriyani with the usual accompaniments like Raita and Mango/Lime pickles.
For the ghee rice:
- Basmati Rice- 1 ¼ cups
- Cinnamon – 1 small stick
- Cloves- 2
- Fennel seeds – 1/4 teaspoon
- Bay leaves – 1
- Ghee/clarified butter – 3 tablespoon
- Lemon juice – 2 teaspoons
- Hot water – 2.5 cups
- Salt to taste
To make the beef Masala –
- Beef – 500 grams, cut to bit size pieces
- Vinegar – 1 teaspoon
- Onion- 2 large, finely chopped
- Tomato – 1 medium finely chopped
- Shallots – 4 nos, crushed
- Finely grated ginger- 2 teaspoons
- Garlic- 6 cloves, finely grated
- Green chili- 3-4 or as per your taste
- Turmeric powder – ½ teaspoon
- Coriander powder – 1.5 tablespoon
- Pepper powder – 1 teaspoon
- Biryani Masala powder – 2.5 teaspoons
- Coconut oil – 2 tablespoon
- Salt to taste
For garnishing –
- Fried Cashew nuts- 3 tablespoon
- Fried Raisins- 3 tablespoon
- Fried Onions – 1/2 cup
- Rose water – 1 teaspoon
- Gram Masala – ¾ teaspoon
- Coriander leaves chopped- 1/2 cup
- Mint leaves- 1/4 cup
How to –
Wash the rice and soak for 20 mins. Strain and set aside.
Heat oil in a pressure cooker pan, add the grated ginger, garlic and fry for a minute. Add the onion and shallots; fry until the onions are soft and turn golden brown. Add the biryani Masala, coriander powder, turmeric powder and cook till the oil starts to separate
Add the tomatoes, salt, Cover and cook till mushy. Add the beef, mix well. Cover and cook till almost done.
Uncover, add the pepper powder continue to cook till the gravy is thick.
Ghee rice –
Heat ghee in a pan, add the whole spices and cook till fragrant. Add the rice in and fry till the rice is translucent and ensuring the rice is not turning brown. Add hot water, Lemon juice, salt and mix well, cover and cook till the rice is 80% done.
Layering the rice-
In a heavy bottom pan, spread some ghee, Layer a thin layer of rice and then the meat with gravy. Sprinkle some gram masala, chopped coriander leaves, chopped mint, fried nuts, raisins and onions. Repeat the layering and finishing of the rice as the final layer.
Seal the pan with an aluminum foil and cover with heavy lid so that the steam does not escape. You could place a heavy pan with water or use the pestle on top on the lid.
Cook on a very low heat for 30-45 minutes. This is to infuse the masala flavor into the rice.
Turn off the heat and serve hot with raita and with your favorite pickle.